Tuesday 13 May 2014

Senna (2010)


I’ve never cared for Formula 1 at all, but the strength of Senna is such that for 100 minutes I did care.  Though I was aware of the final outcome, the way the story is told; Senna’s rivalry with Alain Prost, as well as showing the politics of the various teams, was engrossing.  The documentary is made completely with historical footage of races, interviews and home videos; but there is also interview voice over if the footage is silent.  In this way, Senna is more akin to The Imposter rather than a Michael Moore or Morgan Spurlock film, which perhaps results in a less biased documentary, but I’m not the person to know.  I’m not familiar with anything else that director Asif Kapadia has made, though on the strength of BAFTA-winning Senna I quite fancy seeing Odyssey, and his forthcoming Amy Winehouse documentary could also be interesting.

A fascinating insight into a sportsman I knew nothing about, told with skill and emotion, Senna is definitely worth seeing, even if you hate F1.  But, well, you know, that’s just, like, er, my opinion, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment