Saturday 18 January 2014

Cosmopolis (2012)


What was that all about?

I’m afraid that this was just lost on me.  Body horror virtuoso David Cronenberg (Scanners (1981), Videodrome (1983), The Fly (1986), and Existenz (1999)) directs an adaptation of Don DeLillo’s novel Cosmopolis.  Following 28 year-old billionaire Eric Packer (Robert Pattinson) across town in his luxury limo just so that he can get a haircut (encountering his new wife, riots, a terrorist threat, sexual encounters with other women and horrendous traffic due to a Presidential visit) the film is generally concerned with the perils of capitalism (I think), but I just didn’t get it.  A lot of the dialogue was really mumbled, and without subtitles on I really would not have had a clue what Pattinson was talking to Paul Giamatti about.  The narrative was really confusing; I thought at the time that the story was very non-linear, but by the end I realised this not to be the case and everything was just very disjointed.  

The one thing I did enjoy about this film was Robert Pattinson.  I’ve only seen him before in Twiglet and Harry Potter but this shows that he has the chops to carry a serious (if random) film.  Actually there was a second thing I enjoyed, the design of the limo and the way the sense of space inside was created was cool, as was the lighting by regular Cronenberg collaborator, cinematographer Peter Suschitzky (Existenz, A History of Violence, Crash and even The Empire Strikes Back).  Speaking of previous collaborators, Howard Shore composed the music, but to be honest I hardly noticed any music in the film.  Confusing, boring, aimless and hard going, I really didn’t get on with Cosmopolis, though at least Pattinson was good.  But, well, you know, that’s just, like, er, my opinion, man.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Russ! Good thing i didn't bother to watch this movie. I was very sceptical about it based on the trailer alone. But if you liked Pattinson's acting, then you should definitely check an older flick of his: Remember Me (2010) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403981/?ref_=nm_knf_t4
    That's the first movie I noticed Pattinson - as an actor - after which i started respecting him for his talent. The Twilight bullshit is so misleading for some of the actors and their capabilities! (That doesn't apply to the talentless junkie-only-expressions Kristen Stewart). And the music is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of Remember Me, I'll maybe check it out if I come across it. Kristen Stewart, Oh my god! I thought she was out-acted by a CG troll in Snow White and the Hunstman! A friend said she acted like she had bees in her ears and was slightly irritated by it!

      Delete
  2. Have you seen/reviewed Upstream Colour yet? If so then I really recommend it.
    Cosmopolis always looked like a bit of a wank in a limo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen Upstream Colour, similar idea to Cosmopolis? Not a wank, but R Patz does have a prostate exam in his limo! While talking to someone!

      Delete
  3. Good review Russell. While I applaud Pattinson for at least doing something we don't normally see from him, he was a tad bland to watch here. Then again, that's how the rest of this movie was and I can't say I really put the blame on him, per se.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Dan O; I actually thought he was alright. The film could have been a lot worse if he'd been as insipid as he is in Twilight.

      Delete