Wednesday 15 August 2012

Brave (2012)


Let’s not beat about the bush here, Brave looks fantastic. I think I spent the first 10 minutes admiring how amazing Merida’s hair was. Clearly all the characters still looked like animated people, but the world in which they lived could easily have been real. The stone circle, the forests, the mountain landscapes all looked phenomenal.

Though there are plenty of funny moments (the three younger brothers notwithstanding) there aren’t as many LOLs as Monsters Inc or Finding Nemo for example. Rather Brave focusses on the teenage growing pains of Princess Merida and her desperation to live her own life and not be forced into being the Princess that her Mum wants her to be. Though I did really enjoy the film, I wonder if the story was really the best they could have come up with; a couple of times in the second half of the film I found myself asking “Why?”, and though it wasn’t boring, it wasn’t excellent.

The voice actors however, are all excellent. I was worried having seen the trailers that the Scottish accents were going to sound horrendous, despite most of them being Scottish actors (Kelly Macdonald, Billy Connelly, Robbie Coltrane and Kevin McKidd to name a few); but they were all great; as of course were the non-Scottish actors such Emma Thompson and Julie Walters.

Overall a very enjoyable film, not perhaps Pixar’s finest hour (you still have to go far to beat the enjoyment of Monster’s Inc in my opinion, or the genius of Wall-E), but certainly their most luxuriant.

5 comments:

  1. You've basically come up with exactly the same thoughs as I did about this film. It looks great, is kind of funny but you'd expect more from Pixar. Nice to have you back reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go and read your review now; I always hold off reading other reviews until I've put my own opinions into words. However, I don't think this is the first time one of my reviews has sounded like one of yours!

      Delete
    2. I try and do the same, especially with Mark Kermode as invariably I just shout into my iPod "yes Mark, Yes!" It's easy to get swayed by what others say but you're right, I'm sure this has happened with us a few times. Great minds and all that..

      Delete
  2. I adore this film. Like you, don't think it's one of Pixar's golden moments, but while watching it I was taken away to this ancient Scottish world and loved every moment of it. Such a beautiful film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was beautiful. I think the castle was modelled on Dunnottar castle (not far from here), and it really did remind me of it. The whole experience was really breathtaking.

      Delete