Saturday 14 July 2012

The Pink Panther (2006)



I was lent this film by a friend, who said that it was a bit of daft fun. I'm sorry Dave, but I wouldn't wish this film on anyone! I've never been a fan of Steve Martin, but here he is just embarrassing! His performance is based on the worst kind of slapstick, and no matter how many times he says "I would like a hamburger" in a stupid accent, it just isn't funny. The whole premise of the humour seems to be that it is funny when an American does a bad French accent, who then goes to New York and becomes an American doing a bad French accent trying to speak "American". It really isn't funny. I sniggered after 21 minutes, and again at 33 minutes! Yes, I made a point of noting when I "laughed". I would much rather watch 90 minutes of the English policeman who thinks he can speak French from 'Allo 'Allo!


Perhaps the only silver lining to this turd of a film is that Kevin Kline is good as Charles Dreyfus, the chief of police who counts on Inspector Clouseau failing, ie the villain of the film; and I really can't imagine what Jean Reno's agent was thinking! Otherwise this is a ghastly film, and I really can't think of anything else that needs to be said.

Actually there is one more thing to say; I'm staggered to find out that Shawn Levy who directed this abomination also directed Real Steel!

2 comments:

  1. I refuse to watch this one. I loved the original, and it's just depressing that they remade it. So I'll glad you suffered that so I didn't have to!

    Also, congrats! I've given you an award on my blog. Go here to check it out! http://the-smoking-pen.blogspot.com/2012/08/11-badass-questions.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on never wanting to watch this! If only I'd known that I'd rather scoop my eyes out with spoons before watching it!

      Cheers for the award; I'll endeavour to answer your questions, though it may take a while! Zombie apocalypse, mmmmmm

      Delete