Saturday 2 June 2012

Layer Cake (2004)



I saw Layer Cake for the first time years ago, and I'd forgotten how cool and slick it was. X-men: First Class and Kick Ass director Matthew Vaughn combines smart camera angles, long steady-cam sequences and very clever editing along with some brutal violence to create a visually striking and very clever film. The plot zips along at a goodly pace, and while it is not as convoluted as some of Guy Ritchie's gangster film, it has enough revelations and twists along the way to maintain the pace.

Another way to make this a really cool film, is to cast Daniel Craig as the leading character XXXX. Here he is effortlessly cool, always calm, and always wearing amazing clobber; I can't help but think that Barbara Broccoli et al saw him in Layer Cake and thought "That's the next 007". Surrounding Craig is a cast that can more than hold their own; Michael Gambon as crime boss Eddie Temple, Tom Hardy as one of XXXX's associates, George Harris, Colm Meaney, and an unrecognisable Sally Hawkins as a drugged-up girlfriend.

A very entertaining film from rising star director Matthew Vaughn. Clearly those days spent producing Lock, Stock & Snatch had a great impact on him, as Layer Cake is his take on the gangster heist; and as a director's debut film he really hit the ground running. Excellent cast, clever use of the camera, smart plot, some brutal violence and all topped with some lovely moments of black humour. I haven't seen Kick Ass yet, but now I'm very keen to.

6 comments:

  1. You know what, I always assumed this was a Guy Richie film. I remember seeing it on TV years ago without knowing anything about it and just made the assumption. I don't remember much about it but might have to go and rewatch it if Sally Hawkins and Tom Hardy are in it.

    I really liked Kick-Ass btw. Mostly for the Nick Cage and Chloe Moretz double act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the credits at the beginning I though "Oh cool, Sally Hawkins is in this", which I promptly forgot because you really wouldn't tell that it is her! Tom Hardy is cool, though quite a small role; more stand out is George Harris - showing that he is far more than Kingsley Shacklebolt! Kick Ass has been on my LoveFilm list for ages, but haven't got round to it yet.

      Delete
    2. I've got loads like that. I had Infernal Affairs on the list for about three years until I finally live streamed it. We have about 120 on our list at the moment so it can be frustrating when there's something I really want to watch!

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean, we have about 100 on our list. Every now and then we prioritise some so that we get them immediately. For example, we just pushed Batman Begins and Dark Knight to high priority so that we can re-watch them before TDKR comes out.

      Delete
  2. Iiiii fucking love this movie. I really couldn't get enough of it. I saw this before he came out as 007 and when the news was released that he was going to be the next Bond, I was like "Yep. I can see it." Even though in this one he's a bit of a fumbling 007. But I love it hard. Great review! Time for a rewatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely time to re-watch. It has been repeated on TV all week here in the UK, and I was quite tempted to watch it again yesterday even though I've just seen it! Even the advert on TV looks badass! I'm seriously excited about Skyfall as well.

      Delete